Friday 8 May 2009

I'd like to thank my......!!


Thank you, thank you and, once again, thank you to Amy for reading my blog and passing on the fab award; it made me SMILE :). I've been meaning to write this for a while BUT once again have been caught up in the daily grind: starting back at work was one HUGE shock to the system; as was realising how out of touch I am with teaching in general! Letters and sounds...hmmmmm; book banding..ahhhh..mmm; WALT and WILF...????...Never mind things tend to go in 10 years cycles so, I only have a short while to wait, and I'll be cutting edge again!!

I also spent a few hours in Trafford General with my lovely, danger d#1 who managed to slice her knee open at a party (poor party mum was so mortified, even though I tried to explain how we fly very close to the edge at times with our dainty, little fairy who is as tough as old boots and has no fear...of anything). She's very proud of her seven stitches, mainly because she has beaten her friend across the road, who "only had 3 when HE cut HIS head open!!" I'm really, really hoping they're not going to turn this one into a competition!! Anyway, she has her own blog and, for obvious reasons I cannot present her with this particular award, but check out her pictures; it's Lily's Pictures, she has 2 followers me and Kestrel and feels " very popular, probably famous really". Soooo, my obsessions? Gosh, Do I have time for obsessions? Probably, yes, in fact too much time really. Here goes (apologies if they're boring though!):

#1 Heritage paints. I hate (hate, hate hate) decorating but love looking at colour charts. When I was little I used to cut out the little coloured squares with a view to "making stuff", not sure what; my ma probably got rid of them through stealth. Anyway, in keeping with owning a period house, I'm looking at heritage paints. Lovely, yummy colours BUT, OMG the names!!!!!! The names these colours carry with them leave a lot to be desired. Now, I'm wondering; do I really want to paint my lounge a nice shade of gruel? What exactly is "Julies Dream" and why does she dream in a nice shade of beige? Invisible green? Eh?? Why can't green be pale or mint, or even lime, if you like that sort of thing? Mister David? It's a colour, it's yellow. Why not call it yellow? Enough! Think I'll just go and paint my room a nice shade of Tobacco stain...luuurvely.

#2 Google Earth. For some reason, I love diving just below the surface of the Arctic Ocean (prefer it to the Antarctic). I really have been working on the subtle art of procrastination for a long, long time.

#3 School yard gossip. Actually, I don't go in for the gossiping, I'm the one who'll you'll find uttering "oohhh", "oooo", "Ahhhh" and "NO, REALLY??!!" at all the appropriate moments. It's like Cissie and Ada and, to be honest, it's a "you'd have to be there" thing.

#4 The Royle Family. Filled with nuance and outstanding comic timing. It's supposed to be "very Northern"; it's certainly familiar to me, plus it's set where I was born/ now work, so there's a little opportunity display some civic pride in the plethora of talented Mancunians out there.

#5 Trying to finish a book. An ongoing quest, a work in progress but I have had some small successes and, in turn, have discovered the joys of the public library. The one thing I continually tell my kids; you'll never be bored if you can read a book!!

Right, I believe I now past this on to 5 more blogesses and...

On your post of receiving this award, make sure you include the person that gave you the award and link it back to them. When you post your five winners, make sure you link them as well. To add the award to your post, simply right-click, save image, then “add image” in your post as a picture so your winners can save it as well. To add it to your sidebar, add the “picture” widget. Also, don’t forget to let your winners know they won an award from you by leaving a comment on their blog (nicked your instructions there Amy. Soz!).

I'm probably one of the last to get this, so I will pick and can only apologise if you've done it already.

Kestrel: I love your blog, you pictures are amazing and I love your kind comments both on my blog and Lilys Pictures (that's Lilys Pictures folks!!)
Jo Beaufoix: you are hilarious; would love to spend a night out drinking with you!
Mothership: keep on with that novel/writing, I would definitely purchase!
3kidsnojob: A fellow teacher and a very funny Bloggess
It's Not Just Me: 'Cos I like it, that's why...
and a cheeky one Adventures of a Sleepless Toddler: Again, a lovely, insightful read (and, like Amy, a fellow Manc: it's that civic pride again!)

Anyway, hope it's all ok; over and out...

6 comments:

nixdminx said...

Great award isn't it? Bovver boots for bloggers, very cool x

Katherine said...

Love it. I got my daughter her first pair of mini Dr Martens the other day; ok they're pale blue and covered in penguins but an early start in the cool shoe department (we have converse All Star covered in Ladybirds too). I got all nostalgic and started banging on about "how I used to buy mine from the Army and Navy Stores in Sale which is now longer with us Blah, Blah, Blah"

Sleepless Mum said...

Thank you for the award! I am trying to work out how to pick it up.

I used to have a fair collection of DMs, including a purple velvet pair, cherry reds and a green checked pair (better than they sound!) I think they came from the Corn Exchange before it became a soulless shiny consumer mecca it is now. The penguins sound FABULOUS, I must check out whether they'd be too girly for my boy!

Katherine said...

Took me a while with the award think I clicked on and saved it to my pictures in the end; I think...everything's a bit of a blur. The Corn Exchange!!! I loved that place (it's criminal that it no longer exists); think I spent a lot of my teenage years hanging around there and Afflecks Palace. They have a whole range of DM's for the little ones; nearly got a pair of robot ones for my son but, as he's notoriously fussy about what he will/won't wear, I decided against it in the end

Jo Beaufoix said...

Thank you so much. :D I love this award. I still have my cherry red two tone docs in my wardrobe. Oh the memories. Rock City, plastic beer glasses and sticky floors. Fabulous.

Katherine said...

OOooo pints of cider and, yes, sticky floors and jumpers that came down to the knees...my docs disappeared years ago but am tempted to buy some more